Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Royal Window Treatment

My July window for The My Aunt Debbie shop was installed tonight!
I loved how it turned out- it's all decked with my refashioned party dress (sporting a torquise blue British Wensleydale wool corsage) and flanked by my two flowery orbs (made from cracked corn feed bags.)


All the ribbons came my way over the last couple months. Many of them were ones that Mimi and I had picked out in the back room of Mommalicious. The cracked corn feed bags were from Freecycle, and the base of the window is made from more feed bags, and bubblewrap (which I use to felt with.)

I'm sure Betty my backyard neighbor was wondering what was hanging from my tree yesterday. And admittedly, I was up to 2am last night making the ribbon streamers and the bubblewrap/feed bag floor decoration in my studio. But it made the install a breeze this evening and Debbie was a great help to me.


after two years of only felting British Wensleydale combed tops, it made me happy to adorn a cocktail dress using this special British wool. Designing the window allowed me the chance to again show that you can wear British Wensleydale wool not only all year, and as an accessory, but even in a formal way. I love that this is a handmade thrift dress too:)
I named the dress, "A Royal Cocktail."

Originally, the dress was basic black and white satin. I used the ribbon from the found stash, and mother of pearl buttons (from my own stash) to customize it.

The wool corsage detaches, you can wear it to Royal celebrations:)

i made this ribbon fascinator to coordinate with the dress. It's backed by a thin Clip Paris barrette, and fits even the lightest hair.

i ran out to the shop with the kids tonight to take pictures in the dark...and Alicia had the same idea to photograph her brilliant Mommalicious July Cookout window.

we think the two windows compliment each other...different aspects of a festive summer:)

night shot outside of shops of my red shoe, and Alicia in skirt. by Max.

I had kept the window a surprise from Max until tonight (Mimi, Debbie and I did the install while Max was at camp). When he saw the window, he jumped out of the car, and said, "OH Mom, It's SO cool!" He watched me make everything over the last few weeks.

Night Night dress. Night Night flowery orbs. Enjoy your July in downtown Lancaster:)
I think you're Royally ready for First Friday and the Fourth of July!
(and yes, that's a fabulously knitted pole.)

No comments: