Saturday, November 19, 2016

A Cold

This week Mimi got a bad cold. She gave it to me. Then Matt got it. Mimi had one of her check-ups at Dupont near Philadelphia on Thursday, so we all drove there with the three of us coughing. (She grew nearly two inches since the spring!)

We were worried for Max. On Friday morning he woke up with it.

Sticking to the new protocol, I gave him a nebulizer albuterol treatment and I called Hershey Pulmonary and left a message.
The nurse called me back and said that the doctor wanted to see him at 3:45.
When the doctor checked him Max was already wheezing.
At 4:30 we were out the door with a prescription for prednisone and augmentin sent to the pharmacy (to prevent pneumonia because Max will probably be unable to clear his lungs).
We then went to a local church Christmas bazaar (Max REALLY wanted to go- this only happens once a year). We tried not to stay long, we shopped and did fun things and he turned red in the face.


Stopping at the pharmacy on the way home, we had some trouble -the medications weren't sent in. So late Friday evening, there we were with a red faced child with MD and an upper respiratory infection and wheezing and nothing to give him but Albuterol. Finally, after several calls to and from Hershey 24 hour nursing last night and this evening, and around 1pm today, the orders were phoned into the pharmacy by the doctor on call (we don't know what happened).

This evening, Max is congested, pale, and has red bags under his eyes.


Today, he took 15 doses of medication.
Vitamin, CoQ10, Vit D, CoQ10, CoQ10, Augmentin, Augmentin, Prednisone, Prednisone, Flovent, Flovent, Albuterol, Albuterol, Albuterol, Albuterol.

Apparently, this will be normal for him? I have to get used to this is what we do. I thought when I called the office yesterday, they would tell me to have him checked on Monday, not come in later that day.
What happens if I call on Monday because he's pale and I think they need to listen to his lungs and it's another surprise finding? It's starting to feel like about every other time we are at the doctor with him I hear something else unexpected.

We will keep you posted...



No comments: